Saturday, April 29, 2017

And More: "An Internal Error Occurred When Overlapped Buffer Is Full" in VideoStudio X10 [Error Workaround]

[This post is currently Text-Only for speed of Posting. I may return and add example Screenshots and more, Soon™]


Update 2017-05-02: While not a 'Fix' for this issue, I have done more testing and found what is essentially the issue

Go to "Update 2017-05-02"


Just a quick bit of information, for those using Corel's VideoStudio X10 to edit and render their video projects and running into this error...

I was working on trying to finish some of the many, many, many projects I have in various stages of completion, and ran into an odd error when trying to render a Project in VideoStudio X10. The error said only:

"An Internal Error Occurred When Overlapped Buffer Is Full"


This is somewhat odd, as this is more of a generic Windows Application error than it is a VS (VideoStudio) error. So, I went to the Official Corel Support Forums and did other online searching...






I found a lot of people who have experienced this error, but none that had any solutions, sadly.
So, it was Time To Go Troubleshooting! /maskandcape

Now initially, I was trying to render in 1080p using the more common MPEG-4 Part 10 (h.264/AVC) format. VSx10 offers GPU-acceleration (where it utilizes the power of the videocard), like many video editing programs do these days, to help render and compress the output - and the quality of MPEG-4 can be quite good for the size, when it comes to compression.

BOOM, the error pops up, interrupting the rendering process.
Okay, time to see what could be causing it.

First, I tried to render in the other Formats that VSx10 offered (MPEG2, WMV, etc) and nothing would finish rendering without this error - except for Windows Media Video format (WMV).

Since WMV does not require GPU-acceleration to render, I disabled all GPU-powered optimization in the Preferences of the application (disabling 'hardware acceleration' where I could). I was hoping this would render with other formats without acceleration (MPEG-4 does not 'require' hardware acceleration, for example, but it renders much faster with it). Still, the error came up in any other format than WMV...

So, to dig in a bit of a different hole than the WMV format to find answers, I took out all elements of the Project except for the first video files (taking out the audio files, the Text added, images, etc) and tried to render again. It worked!

I then added in the Text elements (made with Corel's built-in Title tools). It worked!

Since it worked with Text and all video files now, I added in the Audio Files.

BOOM, the error popped up again.
That's okay, it's progress - now we know that something related to the Audio is having troubles.

I was looking at the Audio Files and noticed that I had some 'Audio Filters' and 'Speed/Time-Lapse' adjustments on them (to help them synchronize somewhat in the Project), so I took those effects out and tried to render again. It worked!

Okay, so since it works with the Audio Files present - without 'FX' on them - then it might have something to do with the Filtering/effects...
I enabled only the Speed/Time-Lapse adjustments and left out the Audio Filters for the Audio Files that utilized them. It worked!
I then enabled the Audio Filters again and BOOM, the error reared up and roared in my face.

So, it appears that there may be something with the Audio Filters in VideoStudio that does not play nicely when you go to render the Project (for those experiencing this problem..). Nothing but WMV would produce output for me, at the time of this posting (this is with VideoStudio X10 Service Pack 1).


My advice then, is to try to utilize audio files that do not require Audio Filters in VSx10, for now (until the source of this problem is fixed in full).


If you must apply some sort of affects or filtering, there are many audio editing tools out there that can be used, at least until this gets looked at/fixed someday. Some suggestions off the top of my head are:


  • Sony's Sound Forge (recently acquired by MAGIX, I think).
    This is a pretty capable application, with lots of effects, pitch shifting, fading and filtering available - I have used it a lot in the past when it was run by Sony. It costs some money, however.
  • Audacity.
    This is a free (Open Source) audio editing application that is popular and has many of the features and filters that Sound Forge has - I have used this too, before I could afford to buy any editors at all.
  • Adobe Audition.
    Adobe acquired the older-but-popular Cool Edit Pro audio editing program, which I personally used to use and like. I have not used it since Adobe took over, so I cannot vouch for how this one is - I assume that it is similar to how CEP was - which was quite capable. It is not free, however.

For now then, I will bring this up with Corel Support and see what they have to say about it - until this gets 'fixed', avoid utilizing Audio Filters in VideoStudio, if you can - for now...


Hopefully this information will be of use to those who, like me, were running into this annoying error in an otherwise decent video editing application - and hopefully it gets fixed soon!



If I remember, I will come back and Update this Post when a 'Fix' has been released!







Update 2017-05-02: While not a 'Fix' for this issue, I have done more testing and found what is essentially the issue with Corel's VideoStudio x10 and how it handles some Audio formats (sample rate / bit depth). I am in contact with Corel Support at this time via e-mail, discussing this issue.





Here is what I have found after further testing:


I did some further testing on the audio files, looking at their specific properties. 
I found that the files giving this error were in 24bit depth, 96000Hz format. 

Just to experiment/investigate, I converted the audio file to 16bit depth, 44000Hz format (Standard Compact Disc Audio WAVeform format) and it worked! 

Here is what I found then, during more testing on the bit depth:

- 16bit audio file = Audio Filters and Speed Adjustment can both be used at the same time
- 24bit audio file = Only one or the other can be used at a time

Both Audio Filter and Speed Adjustment added = Error with 24bit audio file at 96000Hz sample rate
(I found that the 24bit depth audio files were also 96000Hz..)

Testing 24bit audio files at 44000Hz resulted in NO ERROR = it worked
(when using both an Audio Filter and a Speed Adjustment at the same time)

The error was repeatable however, with a 96kHz 24bit audio source file (having both a 'trouble' Audio Filter (one of those three listed above) and a Speed Adjustment on it).

Although this is not a 'game breaking' issue (I personally don't mind converting any of my 24bit audio source files that are at 96kHz into 16bit depth versions but it is more work), this may be an issue for more novice users, who may not know how to do so. 
[Hmm, maybe I will make a Quick Tip on this, to help those people out...]

Related to this, many commercially available Samples (sound source files) are distributed to the customer as 24bit audio files, for higher fidelity. 
(Example: I purchased Sample Packs from Sony Creative Software and they came in a bundle as 24bit audio files. Another purchased Pack from BigFishAudio also had the source files being delivered as 24bit sources)
If any of those are at 96kHz (I see that most are at 44kHz anyway...), then it may bring up this issue. 

I realize too that it may be my machine, or my specific combination of hardware, interacting (CPU/Sound/etc) and also there does not seem to be many 96kHz 24bit audio files floating around in general usage (from what little I have seen, perhaps there are, but as I stated above, commercially-purchased packs seem to come in 44kHz 24bit format, at most).

Although this is not a 'Fix' directly dear readers, hopefully this information can help you VideoStudio users to avoid it, 'stepping around it' at least, for now - and perhaps this testing and information can even be utilized improve VideoStudio for the future... (I am in contact with their Support now, discussing these occurrences).





[Note: I am not affiliated with Corel or any of the other companies mentioned herein. I have not and I will not receive any compensation of any kind, for mentioning VideoStudio here. I am merely a user of the product and have used many of the other products mentioned above, including other video editing programs, not omitting Open Source / Free applications. I simply share information I have discovered, in hopes that it will help others.]

4 comments:

  1. BOOM! Thank you!! Worked like a charm. Removed the FX from the sound and voila. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chris Parks...

      You're most welcome! Thanks for stopping to let me know it (still) works - and reminding me about this posting, so that I might 'spruce it up' someday heh - take care, you

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. @ArtDestroyer...

      You're most welcome friend. Thank you for letting me know this still works in 2020, heh.
      I'm sorry I have not added Images or Screenshots yet to this Posting, but I'm glad it helped you!
      Take care

      Delete